Dating in dartmouth ns
In 1873, Dartmouth was incorporated as a town and a Town Hall was established in 1877.In 1955, the town was permanently linked to Halifax by the Angus L.Dartmouth is also the Halifax Regional Municipality's Public Works Eastern Region.The city was not only a bedroom community for Halifax, but also had commerce and industries of its own, including the Volvo Halifax Assembly plant, and a molasses plant dating back to the days of the triangular trade with the West Indies.The British quickly began to build other settlements.
The Town of Dartmouth amalgamated with several neighbouring villages into the City of Dartmouth in 1961. Murray Mac Kay Bridge opened in 1970, furthering commercial and residential growth.
The official place name did not change, due to the confusion with similar street names, land use planning set out by the former "City of Dartmouth," and significant public pressure.
Today the same development planning for Downtown Dartmouth and the rest of the region is still in force, as well as specific bylaws created prior to April 1, 1996.
During the early years, there were 8 Acadian and Mi'kmaq raids on the new British settlement, such as the Raid on Dartmouth (1751).
The original settlement was made in an area the Mi'kmaq called Ponamogoatitjg (Boonamoogwaddy), which has been varyingly translated as "Tomcod Ground" or "Salmon Place" in reference to the fish which were presumably caught in this part of Halifax Harbour.